Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Children of Gods: Take Three



The Titan’s Curse

Written by: Rick Riordan

Released: May 1, 2007 by Hyperion Books


Summary: When the goddess Artemis goes missing, she is believed to have been kidnapped. And now it’s up to Percy and his friends to find out what happened.
Who is powerful enough to kidnap a goddess?
They must find Artemis before the winter solstice, when her influence on the Olympian Council could swing an important vote on the war with the titans. Not only that, but first Percy will have to solve the mystery of a rare monster that Artemis was hunting when she disappeared-a monster rumoured to be so powerful it could destroy Olympus forever.




What can I say about this third instalment of the Olympian’s series? Of course, I loved it; it was full of adventure with a touch of humour. But, the second one is still my favourite. Still, like the prior two, I couldn’t put it down once I started to read it and I probably stayed up too late reading it, but it was worth it.

I liked the introduction of a few new characters even though they were short lived in so many ways. This book also seemed to build a really nice base for what’s going to come with the next, and final, two books; sadly two books which I think I’ll be wait-listed at the library for since they’re in such high demand. I really just wish that I had them already so that I could read them and know what happens at the end. I am not a patient person when I know that I don’t have to wait for the book to be released.

The plot in this book was more in-depth and complicated than that of the second book, but I do believe that that is because it’s leading up to the climax of the final book and the culmination of the series.

I was saddened that Annabeth was shot out of the book so soon – she’s probably my favourite character – and because of that you didn’t get the repartee from her and Percy throughout. It was nice, though, to be fully introduced to her father and step-mother since they have only been mentioned in passing in the other two books. I strangely missed Tyson, too, as a main character in this book.

As for the other characters, I’m having a hard time liking Thalia, and I really didn’t like Zoe and her snootiness though she tied well into the story arc as a whole.

I really liked the idea of Artemis’ Hunters and how they weren’t just demi-gods. Their appearance was sudden and so completely unexpected that I was thrown a bit, but that was a good thing.

In the end, I just really want to find out what happens to everyone, especially Nico (a new character). So, I’m giving this book a 7/10 and I am greatly anticipating the final books.

No comments: