Friday, March 26, 2010

Merman’s Village - FP Friday



FictionPress Friday



So I’ve been a reader on FictionPress for years and I have come across so many amazing stories on there that I decided that I wanted to share them too. I think that if someone is going to put that much time and effort into writing something brilliant, then they deserve some credit.

Another blogger – if you can call her that… is it considered a blog? I think I need a better description – who reviews online romance fiction is the mysterious Juliet from A Drop of Romeo. I have to say that she has some amazing tastes when it comes to online fiction and I have often looked at her website to find something new to read when I don’t want to go to the library or spend money on a book. After all, the internet is an amazing thing so why not take advantage of it?

And so begins the first of my FictionPress Fridays. No, I’m not going to necessarily stick to FP all the time, but it is the main website (that I know of) where I can easily search for something to read depending on what I’m in the mood to read.

Now, I must state that the majority of the stories that I will be reviewing will be rated M for whatever reason. I will review those which are rated T but for some reason I just feel that the higher the rating, and the larger the word count, the more articulate and interesting a story will be. I know, I know, basically I’m not allowing any of the lower ratings a chance, but it’s just how I feel. That being said, feel free to refer me to something that you think I may have overlooked; I’m more than game to be told about some amazing pieces of fiction.

Anyways, on to today’s review.



Legends of the Deep

Written by: Edward’s girl 90

Rated: M

Published: July 12, 2009 – November 20, 2009

Summary: Luka decided my fate for me when I was 12 years old. I was to become a mermaid on the day I turn 18 so I can spend the rest of my immortal existence with him. There was no fighting it until Joseph Atkins discovered a way to free me. But is that what I want?





Now, I’m a sucker for mermaid stories. I loved the Little Mermaid when I was growing up and I like reading adaptations of it even now, or even stories that just have mermaids. So of course I was excited to find this story online.

I really enjoyed reading it. The take on mermaids was an original one and the way that it was written made you think that something like this was completely possible since it’s as it it’s hiding in plain sight.

The characters were fun and there were a few twists that I wasn’t expecting, which was a pleasant surprise. I really enjoyed the mermaid lore that the author either invented or researched to include in her story.

Overall, I’m giving this story a 6/10. I think that this is something that, with a little work, it could be amazing and possibly be published (at least I think so). As it is, it’s a really enjoyable read and I have read it a few times. I just wish that the sequel was finished as well since it shows promise.


Image taken from here and was altered by me.

No comments: