Tuesday, April 20, 2010

BBC 100 - Part 1


Apparently the BBC thinks that people are illiterate and unable to read books that aren’t complete trash. Ok, so maybe that’s not what they think exactly but they do apparently believe that the vast majority of the population hasn’t read more than 6 books from this list that they complied of great works of fiction according to them.

So, I’ve decided that I’m going to post this list in four parts (25 books per post), bold the books that I have personally read, and make comments on whatever books catch my fancy.

1. Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
Though not my favourite classic, I love Mr. Darcy.

2. The Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien
I am never going to read these books. I hate Tolkien’s writing style and couldn’t even make it through The Hobbit. But I do own the books.

3. Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte
One of those books that I had to read in class that I never really paid attention to. I think that I should really re-read it soon though.

4. Harry Potter series - JK Rowling
Love, but I have still yet read the last book. I think I just don’t want it to end.

5. To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee

6. The Bible
Years of Catholic grade school had me reading the entirety of the New Testament and parts of the Old.

7. Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte
Another classic that I need to re-read for refreshing purposes.

8. Nineteen Eighty Four - George Orwell

9. His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman
I liked the first and the other two are on my reading pile.

10. Great Expectations - Charles Dickens

11. Little Women - Louisa May AlcottI love this book.

12. Tess of the D’Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy
I have a copy on my bookshelf but I’ve not gotten around to reading it yet.

13. Catch 22 - Joseph Heller

14. Complete Works of Shakespeare
I took a Shakespeare class in second year.

15. Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier

16. The Hobbit - JRR Tolkien
See above at 2.

17. Birdsong - Sebastian Faulk

18. Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger

19. The Time Traveller’s Wife - Audrey Niffenegger
Another book that is sitting unread on my shelf.

20. Middlemarch - George Eliot

21. Gone With The Wind - Margaret Mitchell
I really want to read this but I haven’t gotten around to getting my hands on a copy.

22. The Great Gatsby - F Scott Fitzgerald

23. Bleak House - Charles Dickens

24. War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy

25. The Hitch Hiker’s Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
I’ve heard good things about this book and I think that it’s one I want to check out in the future.




HA! Take that BBC. Only 1/4 of the way through the list and I have surpassed your expectations!

Stay tuned for the rest of the list.

No comments: