Sunday, May 16, 2010

Pirate Ship One




Bloody Jack: Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary “Jacky” Faber, Ship’s Boy

Written by: L.A. Meyer

Released: September 1, 2002 by Harcourt Children’s Books


Summary: Life as a ship's boy aboard HMS Dolphin is a dream come true for Jacky Faber. Gone are the days of scavenging for food and fighting for survival on the streets of eighteenth-century London. Instead, Jacky is becoming a skilled and respected sailor as the crew pursues pirates on the high seas.
There's only one problem: Jacky is a girl. And she will have to use every bit of her spirit, wit, and courage to keep the crew from discovering her secret. This could be the adventure of her life--if only she doesn't get caught. . . .



I loved this book. I could not put it down and I can’t wait to read the next books in the series. In fact, this is a series that I might just have to pick up copies of for myself.

The only complaint that I have is the language though I know that it’s a device used to make the book more dimensional.

The characters were amazing. I loved Mary “Jacky” and James. Their romance, the building, the climax, the separation; I just wanted to cry. It leaves so much open for the next books in the series and I can’t wait to see what develops. The supporting characters were all phenomenal and it was amazing to see how one person could change the direction of everything.

The idea of a girl disguising herself as a boy in order to escape her life is not a new concept, but the way that this book was written, the details that were added like the codpiece, it was so easy to believe that Jacky could be mistaken as a sexually confused boy. The fact that she was a girl added so many dimensions to thinking like a man and her take on their actions were funny and endearing.

The ending left me unsatisfied, though I understand that it was necessary in order to set up the next novel. In that regard, it was done so well.

I just don’t know how to properly describe this book in order to represent it in the best light. I think that this is a book that everyone should read and it is written in such a way (at least this first one is) so that both boys and girls can read it and enjoy it.

I’m giving this book a 9/10. I loved it and I can’t wait to read about Jacky again.

No comments: