Friday, May 28, 2010

The Harry Potter Syndrome

I don’t know if this just happens to me, but lately I can’t get into reading any book. Particularly Perfect by Sara Shepard, but that’s just a particular example. And it’s not as if I don’t want to read it, because I really do want to, but I can’t bring myself to pick it up off my bedside table and read it instead of doing other things like watching YouTube.

Seriously, though, I re-arranged two rooms at my dad’s house (mine and the guest bedroom) and I went full out moving furniture from one to the other, moving ALL of my books from the guest room to my own along with two huge bookcases and then I organized everything.

But it gets worst. I’ve also been going to the barn (my dad has race horses) and cleaning stalls. For no reason other than it’s something to do. And then during the rest of my time I’m working and can’t read.

I don’t get it, this funk that I’m in. I love to read, I want to read, so why am I not just reading? Instead it’s as if I’m looking at is as a chore or something. At first I thought that it was just because of the move, but now I’m thinking that it’s something else.

In fact, I think that I’m suffering from the Harry Potter syndrome. Seriously. I still have yet to read the last book even though I got it the first day that it came out. So what, that’s four summers ago, three? it was as if I knew (obviously) that there weren’t going to be any more HP books and so I didn’t want to read the last one because that meant that it would really be over. I think this is happening again with the Pretty Little Liars books; I want to read them but the last books comes out soon and then it will be over. I’ll know who A is and how everything ends. The End.

Ok, that’s it. I am going to finish reading Perfect and then go on to the next book and so on. But… not right this minute because I have to work in the morning. Soon, though, I will pick up that darn book and read it. And that’s all there is to it.

1 comment:

Tammy (The Book Fairy's Haven) said...

I can relate to that feeling so well and also when it comes to reading the last book in a series. And what's worse is, when I'm in one of those phases, I feel almost as if I don't love reading as much as I say I do, when in reality it's quite the opposite. I'm looking forward to your review of Perfect - have heard a lot of good things about it!