Saturday, May 1, 2010

Kiss This



Naomi and Ely’s No Kiss List

Written by: Rachel Cohn and David Levithan

Released: August 28, 2007 by Knopf Books for Young Readers


Summary: NAOMI AND ELY ARE BEST FRIENDS.
Naomi loves and is in love with Ely, and Ely loves Naomi, but prefers to be in love with boys. So they create their “No Kiss List” of people neither of them is allowed to kiss. And this works fine - until Bruce.
Bruce is Naomi’s boyfriend, so there's no reason to put him on the List. But Ely kissed Bruce even though he is boring.
The result: a rift of universal proportions and the potential end of “Naomi and Ely: the institution”. Can these best friends come back together again?






I absolutely HATED the Naomi chapters in this book for the annoying use of symbols instead of actual words. No joke, I almost didn’t bother reading the book at all because of it. Ok, I lied. I completely didn’t bother reading the rest of this book and I just jumped to the last few pages to see how it ended.

Basically, it was predictable from the few chapters at the beginning that I did read and reading the end just proved that. Sure, I missed some things in the middle from not reading it, but at this point I just don’t care.

It’s funny that I didn’t like this book since I did enjoy reading Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist – a book that these two authors collaborated on before this one that was great.

Really, the Naomi chapters were so annoying with their symbol-use that I just couldn’t go on. The characters themselves were just too predictable and stereotypical that it was boring.

So, due to the fact that I couldn’t make it through this book, which is sad since I was looking forward to reading it since I liked Nick and Norah so much, I’m not giving it a rating. Who knows, I may re-loan this book from the library and give it another chance… but probably not unless they come out with a symbol-free version.

Maybe this is one of those books that would be better to enjoy as an audiobook?

No comments: