Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The Seven Kingdoms Part 1



Graceling

Written by: Kristin Cashore

Released: October 1, 2008 by Harcourt Children’s Books


Summary: In a world where some people are born with extreme and often-feared skills called Graces, Katsa struggles for redemption from her own horrifying Grace, the Grace of killing, and teams up with another young fighter to save their land from a corrupt king.




What can I say about this book? Well, to say that I loved reading it wouldn’t quite cover the enjoyment I found from it. I admit that it took a chapter or two to fully get into the rhythm of the story but after I did it was hard to put it down.

Katsa as a character was one who was so beautifully written that she seemed almost real. Of course, with her constant evolution of a character, the constant growth, it wasn’t a hard stretch to imagine her as a real person. Po was the same. I just loved their chemistry too; it was absolutely explosive. The secondary characters just added so much to the story as well, like they were a spice to the main dish. I know that sounds strange but it’s the best that I can come up with to describe it.

The plot was great too. I liked how there were so many elements that worked together flawlessly in order to complete the entire story. I think that if one of these components hadn’t been there that the books wouldn’t have been as great as it was. I really liked how the Graces were portrayed within the book and how both Katsa and Po discovered the true breadth of their own. I would have liked to learn more about other characters who had Graces, but maybe that will come with the second novel, though it takes place before Graceling, I’m not sure how I’ll like it.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone who wanted something adventurous, slightly magical, and full of anticipation and semi-romance. I can’t wait to read more about the Seven Kingdoms, Katsa and Po. I’m giving this book a 9/10.

No comments: