Sunday, May 2, 2010

Sgt. Pepper’s Band



The Lonely Hearts Club

Written by: Elizabeth Eulberg

Released: January 1, 2010 by Scholastic Inc.


Summary: Penny is sick of boys and sick of dating. So she vows: no more. It’s a personal choice… and, of course, soon everyone wants to know about it. And a few other girls are inspired. A movement is born: The Lonely Hearts Club (named after the band from Sgt. Pepper). Penny is suddenly known for her non-dating ways… which is too bad, because there's this certain boy she can't help but like…



I was pleasantly surprised when I found this book at the library this week since I have heard many good things about it; plus, it’s a debut author novel.

I enjoyed this book greatly and I was really able to identify with the main character Penny Lane – for the Beatles song – and her being fed up with guys, their disgusting ways, and the girls who completely lose their own identities when they start dating someone. I have lost count at how many friends I have lost because they can’t separate their relationships from their own life and their always choosing their significant other over their friends.

The characters in this book were real and refreshing. They were written so that the reader could really empathize with them and clearly picture them while reading. It was nice to read a book that wasn’t over-done or trying to take on more issues than can properly be dealt with, making the plot simplistic and easy to read and follow – which is a good thing.

Overall, I’m giving this book a 9/10. I only wish that more people would realize what this book is writing about. I think that would make so many things so much easier.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hm, can't say I liked this one. I would have given it a 2, actually. You say that the characters are 'real and refreshing', whereas I see them as cardboard cut-outs. The snarky cheerleader gone good? The doting best friend? The jock? All are unoriginal. I'm in high school myself, and that novel was very, very unrealistic. The author acted as if EVERY student character in high school is a jock, acted as if high schoolers have drunken parties every night...
I don't see how readers could empathize with the characters, since they were utterly fake and overly cliche. The cute jock that winks her way. Oh, look, another jock that has a crush on her. I also disliked how the principal (out of nowhere) got involved in Penny's club. How was THEIR feminist club bothering the principal? The plot centered around that, and it seemed that it was blown out of proportion.
This book was very poorly written. I'm going to have to say that I disagree with your high rating of this one. (Which kind of makes me feel like doubting your other ratings, but oh, well. We can't always share the same opinion---although this one was a MAJOR difference)