Thursday, May 6, 2010

Writing Challenge - Day One



Here it is, my first day participating in the Page a Day Writing Challenge that’s being held over at Books, Writing, and More! Oh My!! and in order to get into the swing of things, I decided to take a one-shot that I did last year and elaborate on it with a different perspective. If you want to read the original work, it can be found over at FictionPress.

I’m not sure if I’m going to be able to write things like this every day, but I think that at least once a week or so writing a full page would be great. The rest of my challenge will come from my reviews, which generally run a page on Word anyways.

Good luck to everyone who is participating in the challenge! I know that you’ll do better than I do.


Word Count: 557




I know he blames me. Truth is, he never was able to take responsibility for his own actions. I knew that he wasn’t writing anything new, I could tell because everything that I read of his in the paper were articles that I was there for when he was writing them. Plus, I knew how he worked. I remembered how he called me his muse all the time and how he always told me that he worked better when I was around.

It always made me wonder how he worked before I walked into his life. Really, it was a complete coincidence that I walked into the same coffee shop that he was in after my brother flaked out on meeting me. I remember how we hit it off, became friends, and when my lease was up he offered me a place to stay. We had been friends then for a while and our feelings had been growing since our first encounter, so it only seemed natural that we move in together for better or worse.

I had fallen in love… at least I thought I had. I knew I loved him but what I didn’t know was that I wasn’t in love with him. After a while, after I realized it, I knew that I couldn’t put him through it any longer. We had been getting on each other’s nerves all the time over the stupidest, smallest things imaginable. I knew that the blame was shared between us, but as time passed it dawned on me that these things wouldn’t be as large as they turned out to be if there really was love.

The heart-stopping, everlasting, Romeo and Juliet I would die for you type of love. It was the kind of love that I had been searching for ever since I noticed that it was the type of love that my paternal grandparents shared. Their love was cemented into my mind when not six months after my grandfather passed away, my grandmother followed peacefully in her sleep. I know that some would call that a coincidence, but before that my grandmother had been in perfect health.

But James and I, we were two pieces that almost fit together and no matter how you tried to mash them, like he did in his mind, they would never click and be seamless.

I think that part of the reason that I left, too, was the he had gotten so dependent on me. I felt suffocated those last few months before I finally decided that it was time to part ways. I knew that it would hurt him, but it was hurting both of us then and it would just be better if I pulled the plug.

Once I moved out, I felt as though a huge weight has been lifted off of my soul. I knew that I had made the right decision right then and there. Sure, I would miss being with James. How supportive he was and how much fun we had together when we weren’t fighting. I would miss him as a friend, and that was the only thing that I would regret; the loss of my best friend.

But I would move on, find new friends, and most important find someone who fit perfectly with my puzzle piece. Someone who wasn’t James.

1 comment:

Swimmer said...

That was really good you should consider writing stories every day ecause I really liked that.

My grandparents are the same as the story they have not died but they love each other more than life.