Monday, August 23, 2010

Movie Monday - The Greatest Girl Band EVER

Josie and the Pussycats


Written by: Harry Elfont, Deborah Kaplan, Richard Goldwater, Dan DeCarlo, and John L. Goldwater

Directed by: Harry Elfont and Deborah Kaplan

Released: April 11, 2001

Rating: PG



Summary: A girl group find themselves in the middle of a conspiracy to deliver subliminal messages through popular music in this send up of the music industry and pop culture.


I had the insane need to watch this movie tonight, which is why it influenced my choice in movie this week. Seriously, I almost tore apart everything to try and find the DVD, only to know exactly where it was the whole time.

Anyways, this movie came out when I was in elementary school and I quickly became obsessed with it to the point where I bought the soundtrack… which I still play at loud volumes while driving down the highway… The reason that liked the movie so much, aside from the kick-ass music and girl power, was because I always read the Archie comics and the Josie stories were generally my favourite since they were always different.

On a side note: did anyone notice how with the Archie comics they repeated the same ones all the time? Also, Betty was completely better than Veronica.

Point is, I am greatly enjoying watching this movie as I write this review. It’s been years since I sat down and watched it and I forgot how much I enjoy it. Plus, the blatant advertising and use of subliminal messaging makes me laugh every time.

All in all, this is a fun dive into the past and it’s a good way to mindlessly wind down from after a day at work. I give this movie a 6/10.

No comments: