Monday, September 13, 2010

Movie Monday - New Fall Line-up

Hellcats

Created by: Kevin Murphy


Summary: The wild world of competitive college cheer leading.


So, confession time. As much as I detest Facebook, I'm rather addicted to the game Sorority Life on it. I know, it's a little weird, but at least it's not Farmville and I'm not setting an alarm for my crops - I have cousins who do that. But, wait, this has a point related to this review. See, for the few weeks before the series premiere on the CW, on Sorority Life there were chances to gain glam items that were emant to promote the new show. That being said, I would have watched it anyways due to the commercials that started to show months ago.

Point is, last Wednesday I tuned in to watch Hellcats and was pleasantly surprised. There were a few recycled actors from One Tree Hill (including Psycho Derek!) and old Disney Channel alumna. I mean, there's not much that can be done with cheerleading that Bring It On hasn't already overused, but surprisingly this wasn't as bad as I had prepared myself for.

I liked the whole problem with the main character and her quest for a new scholarship and Marti is a likeable enoug character. Ashley Tisdale's character is neurotic almost to a point of nausea, but hopefully that will change as the show goes on.

I'm not too sure if this is going to be one of those shows which makes it past the 18 episode point. I suppose that it will depend on how much they can come up with for sub-plots to round out the Bring It On-ness that it obviously has. Still, I'm going to tune in as much as I can. Thankfully it's on right after Top Model (another guilty pleasure of mine).

So, I'm withholding a rating until I see a few more episodes. As it stands, it's slightly above average as far as CW broadcasting goes.

1 comment:

Dazzling Mage said...

I was surprised too! Although the only thing that drew me to the show was that Tom Welling (from Smallbville) produced it. I didn't think I'd like the first ep, but I think it's well written. Can't wait for the next ep.