Friday, September 17, 2010

Post-Death Life

Undead and Unwed

Written by: MaryJanice Davidson

Released: 2002 by Berkley Sensation


Summary: First Betsy Taylor loses her job, then she's killed in a car accident. But what really bites is that she can't seem to stay dead. And now her new friends have the ridiculous idea that Betsy is the prophesied vampire queen, and they want her help in overthrowing the most obnoxious power-hungry vampire in five centuries.

So I re-read this book this summer because while I was at work I wanted a smaller sized book to take with me, but it also had to be something that was easily portable and if something better came along that I wanted to read, this book needed to be something that I could easily put aside and not necessarily finish. Thus, Undead and Unwed was perfect since I had read it years ago (though some details were a little fuzzy) and I knew that I would enjoy it again.

Needless to say, it didn't disappoint.

I had forgotten how much I had really liked this book. It made me laugh out loud (which got me a few weird looks at work) and it was just enjoyable. Really, it was a nice chick-lit-paranormal-comedy book and it was a nice break from the YA that I have been reading a lot of these past.... ok forever it seems.

Betsy is a ditzy character who is incredibly likable and hilarious. And Sinclair makes me melt every time. It was vampires like him (not annoying Edward) who made the fantasies come to surface. But then Twilight just ruined it for everyone else... sigh.

Admittedly, as this series went on (an on), the material became stale and I stopped reading, but this first book will always remain a favourite of mine when it comes to the guilty pleasure of reading vampire romance books. And trust me, there's "romance" abound with this book.

Overall, I'm giving this book a 9/10; it's definitely one of those read-several-times books for me.

1 comment:

Tammy (The Book Fairy's Haven) said...

Ooh, I've reviewed this one not too long ago and also loved this one. I have yet to read the rest in the series, but so far, haven't managed to go out to get the rest. Really must make a plan.