Monday, November 8, 2010

Movie Monday - No-Fly Zone

Due Date


Written by: Alan R Cohen, Alan Freedland and Adam Sztykiel

Directed by: Todd Phillips

Released: November 5, 2010 by Lionsgate

Rating: R



Summary: High-strung father-to-be Peter Highman is forced to hitch a ride with aspiring actor Ethan Tremblay on a road trip in order to make it to his child's birth on time.




Well, this wasn’t the movie that I thought it was at first – I was thinking that it was the Katherine Heigl one – but I’m really glad that I went to go see it.

I have never watched The Hangover (though I really want to) but I knew who Zach whats-his-face whose name I cannot for the life of me pronounce and Robert Downey Jr. is a well-known actor, of course. And the trailer made the film seem like it would be hilarious, and it was, but there are some ‘buts’ in there.

This isn’t a movie that I would take younger children to. Hell, even younger teens are a bit too young due to some of the content, but it would make a fantastic movie for a date night or an outing with friends – like it was for me. I went with two of my girl friends and we laughed throughout the entire movie, showing that it’s not a “guy” film, but there were some parts that made me squeem in my seat.

The chemistry between the two main characters was great; there was that running tension between them that was required for the relationship that they have within the film. And through the situations were completely extreme and would never happen in that quantity to two people all within a couple of days, the acting made it seem as though it could be within the realm of possibility. And the dog was that ugl-cute that made me want to hug it.

What I really liked was the reality that was brought into the film while still having it rather outrageous. There was a part with Juliette Lewis where she was an “apothecary” selling weed out of her kitchen that was both horrifying and hilarious. Actually, that was a running theme throughout the entire movie now that I think about it.

So, while I greatly enjoyed the movie, it’s really not one that’s going to be for everyone. It’s also one of those movies that you really want to go into with an open mind because you’re going to see things that you might not like otherwise. Overall, though, I’m giving it a 7.5/10 - not quite an 8, but higher than a 7.

No comments: