Monday, February 14, 2011

Movie Monday - Roomie Beware

The Roommate


Written by: Sonny Mallhi

Directed by: Christian E. Christiansen

Released: February 4, 2011 by Screen Gems

Rating: PG-13

Summary: College student Sara finds that her new roommate Rebecca has an obsession with her, which quickly turns violent.


Holy crap this movie made me very happy that I no longer had to deal with horrible roommates. And also very thankful that my roommates – bad as they were – weren’t completely crazy like this movie depicts. The worst I had to deal with was promiscuity and random boy strangers being there in the morning. Thankfully, nothing every truly heinous happened to any of us and as far as I know they’re all sane and alive.

In the realm of horror/thriller movies, this one is definitely done to perfection with the entire psychological side of things, though at times it was a little ridiculous.

Leighton Meester is brilliant in her role as Rebecca and she portrays crazy to the utmost perfection. I was seriously freaked out by how phenomenal she was in this role, especially taking into consideration just how different it is from her role on Gossip Girl. I don’t think that I can properly put into words just how creepy she is in this.

Now, this movie hasn’t gotten the best reviews/ratings since its release. And though I really liked it, I can see where some would think that it was more than a little over the top. I mean, the extremes that Leighton’s character goes through in order to keep her obsession (her roommate Sara) to herself are just that: extreme. There was this part with a kitten that had me covering my eyes and just to think that someone would do the things that her character did... the writer has some serious dark side.

If you’re looking for a movie that will make you want a single room when you venture off into the wild unknown, this is it. Upon leaving the theatre, the first thing that I said to my friend who I went with was that I was very happy the roommate portion of my life was over. And if you scare easily but still want to see it, make sure that the person next to you is someone who won’t mind you burying your face into their shoulder. I’m giving this movie a 7.5/10.

1 comment:

~Sara @ Just Another Story said...

My sister saw this movie and loved it. But it's more her thing. But I am a little curious on how Blair Waldorf pulls crazy off. Thanks for the review.