Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Playlists

I am super excited right now because I’m downloading the new The Pretty Reckless CD which was just made available on iTunes – I pre-ordered it last week. Anyways, from the four songs that I‘ve been able to download so far (dial-up internet is not fun) I’ve gotten a feel for the album and it made me think.


There are so many YA playlists out there and even before I started this blog – hell, before I even knew that people were out there book blogging – I was following a few blogs from people who wrote fiction online and they sometimes posted their inspiration songs. From those blogs I was able to create some amazing song playlists on YouTube. I remember listening to E.S. Posthumus’ song Nara from their Unearthed CD (it’s the theme song from the television show Cold Case) for the first time after seeing it on someone’s blog and just falling in love with it*. It also made reading that particular story a more passionate experience. Ok, passionate isn’t the right word, but I can’t think of the feeling that it invoked.

Anyways, that was the beginning, and this new CD Light Me Up from The Pretty Reckless is reading like the emotional undercurrent of so many amazing YA books out there. I can see a lot of the songs from it being featured in people’s playlists.

This leads me to question: are there some songs that as soon as you hear them they make you think of a certain character or book? If there are, let me know. I would really like to find some new music and new context to listen to it in.





*I know that on their official website, you can listen to some of their songs for free and Nara is one of them. If you want to check them out and YouTube isn’t always your friend (like for me) this might be a good way to do that. Granted, their website could have changed since the last time I was on it a few years ago...

No comments: