Friday, February 18, 2011

Quoth The Raven

Trickster’s Girl


Written by: Hilari Bell

Released: January 3, 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Books for Children

Summary: In the year 2098 America isn't so different from the USA of today. But, in a post-9/11 security-obsessed world, "secured" doesn't just refer to borders between countries, it also refer to borders between states. Teenagers still think they know everything, but there is no cure for cancer, as Kelsa knows first-hand from watching her father die.

The night Kelsa buries her father, a boy appears. He claims magic is responsible for the health of Earth, but human damage disrupts its flow. The planet is dying.

Kelsa has the power to reverse the damage, but first she must accept that magic exists and see beyond her own pain in order to heal the planet.


I read the first few chapters of this and then skimmed the rest of the novel. I just couldn’t get into the story at all and I really wasn’t in the mood to read about magic and rainforests. Perhaps I can try and sit down and re-read this at a later date, but all I can think of now is that I have a huge TBR full of books that I would rather be reading.

I found it difficult to be thrown into 2098 America without any explanation in this book. In fact, it took me a while to even realize that it was a futuristic setting (I had forgotten that the summary had plainly said as much) and once it did sink in; I just couldn’t seem to accept it. I know that sounds weird, but I can’t put it into words any better than that.

This book wasn’t my cup of tea, but if it sounds like something you might like I highly recommend that you try it yourself. I’m giving it a 4/10 with the possibility of having a higher rating if I ever decide to give it another try – which isn’t beyond the realm of possibility.

I received this novel from netGalley for review. Thank you to everyone who made that possible.

No comments: