Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Television Tuesdays (2)

I remember the first time that a friend of mine told me about the television show Roswell. It was then that my memory was briefly jogged about a show from a few years ago that I thought would be incredibly stupid because it was about aliens, so I steered clear. However, after hearing my friend gush about it – and the delicious eye candy within – I knew that I had to see what all the fuss was about.


Sadly, at the time, there were only the first few episodes available on DC++ (the document sharing connection at my school) and they weren’t the best quality. But then I was able to find the first season for super inexpensive at some store and I sped through it and then the following two seasons with vim and vigour.

I fell in love with the cast of characters and the plot lines. I mean, aliens were the thing then and so much more can happen with them than vampires and werewolves...

Then came the moment of amazingness; I found out that there was a book series that started around the same time as the show, but has significantly different plot lines and more characters. Sadly, I haven’t been able t get my hands on any of the 10 books which were published... but my search will never relent so long as I have used book stores to explore through. Someone please let me know if you’ve read the books and just how cheesy-amazing they are.

Anyways, back to the show.


While everyone was fawning over Max, I was a Michael fan. There’s just something about his tortured soul that makes me want to take him away and make everything better by fixing his problems. Of course, he has super powers and can pretty much take care of himself. Still, a girl can have her fictional dreams.

This was a series that was well executed and the finale was done so that you were left wanting more, but it was concluded enough that you accepted it and moved on. What’s really amazing about it, though, was that it was going to be cancelled after the first season but so many fans flooded the mail room at the station with mini bottles of hot sauce (it’s pertinent t the show), that the signed the show on for another season. How can you not love a show with fans like that?

The romance in this show is second to none. You have love triangles, star-crossed (literally) lovers, and forbidden love. There’s life, death, and everything in-between. Plus, there are some amazing mysteries to be had and the search for other alien life forms.

If you are looking for a new show to get into – one that’s complete so you’re not left waiting week to week for new episodes – I would highly recommend this one if you can get your hands on the DVD seasons. I do warn you; once you start it’s going to be hard to not watch just one more episode. I re-watch the entire series every so often and even though I know what’s going to happen next, I still need to see it for myself every time.


2 comments:

Amanda said...

The Roswell series was based on Melinda Metz's Roswell High series. The first book was pretty similar to the pilot, but from there the book series veered off in a completely different direction from the tv series. There was also a spin-off book series - though I never got a chance to read them, the characters from the show were on the cover so there's a good chance they were more closely related to the tv series. This is one of my favorite shows to re-watch. Excellent choice!

~Sara @ Just Another Story said...

Hahaha, I loved this show. I was a Michael fan as well. he was in town years ago for some small time awards that my Aunt was going to, and I made her get his autograph for me. I was in the 9th grade when this show ended, and I've watched it once through since then, I may do it again.