Monday, April 25, 2011

Movie Monday - Happy Easter

Hop


Written by: Ken Daurio, Brian Lynch, and Cinco Paul

Directed by: Tim Hill

Released: April 1, 2011 by Universal Pictures

Rating: PG

Summary: Blending state-of-the-art animation with live action, Hop tells the comic tale of Fred, an out-of-work slacker who accidentally injures the Easter Bunny and must take him in as he recovers. As Fred struggles with the world's worst house guest, both will learn what it takes to finally grow up.


This is such a cute Easter movie and I thought was absolutely perfect for this Monday’s movie review since yesterday was Easter Sunday.

My mum and I went to the movies and this was the only one out which I either hadn’t seen or I was willing to see with a parent (some movies are just a little awkward to watch with parental units – like Black Swan). So by lack of choice, this was really the only movie eligible for viewing. I just wish that people wouldn’t take their much too young children to see these movies. I hate being distracted by their yelling/running/crying/all of the above while watching the movie.

Now, this movie was super cute and I thought that it combined together the animated-reality parts extremely well. Hell, there were parts in the animated bits with the live actors where I was looking to see whether or not it was actually animated or if the set design was just that brilliant that it made everything blend so well together.

The plot was fun, the take on the Easter Bunny mythology interesting, and the play-out was entertaining. I thought that the characters were cast incredibly well – Russell Brand always makes me laugh and as a rabbit he’s too adorable on top of the funny – and the cast itself is surprisingly star studded. I’ll always picture Hugh Laurie as Dr. House but he makes one adorable British Easter Bunny.

There were parts which ended up not being what I thought they would be. Case and point; Kaley Cuoco’s character isn’t the love interest for James Marsden’s character – she’s his sister in the movie. From the trailers I thought that it would play out differently but it worked well with the story.

While I’m glad that I saw this movie before Easter (after would have been weird unless I waited an entire year to see it) I’m also happy that I had movie passes to use in order to see it. It’s the perfect family holiday film and while I’m sure adults will enjoy it – like I did – it really is a movie geared towards the kids. I’m giving it a 7/10 though I’m basing that as a rating for a whole-movie film.

No comments: