Monday, April 4, 2011

Movie Monday - Speak Straight

The King’s Speech


Written by: David Seidler

Directed by: Tom Hopper

Released: December 22, 2010

Rating: PG-13

Summary: Tells the story of the man who became King George VI, the father of Queen Elizabeth II. After his brother abdicates, George ('Bertie') reluctantly assumes the throne. Plagued by a dreaded stammer and considered unfit to be king, Bertie engages the help of an unorthodox speech therapist named Lionel Logue. Through a set of unexpected techniques, and as a result of an unlikely friendship, Bertie is able to find his voice and boldly lead the country through war.


I almost fell asleep while watching this movie. I know, I know, throw the rotten vegetables at me and put me in the stocks, but I just wasn’t interested. Even though it was a good movie, with great actors and fantastic performances, I just wasn’t thrilled. I also saw is months ago just after it first came out... so this review is very late in coming.

Sure, it’s not supposed to be a movie where there’s a lot of action. It’s based on true life, after all, and on a person who is well known in the history books.

But, while it wasn’t a movie for me – my mum and aunt wanted to go and I went with them – it was interesting. Hell, it’s worth watching just to see Helena Bonham Carter looking nothing like herself. Honestly, it took me a second to put her in this movie together with the “fashionista” that walks the red carpets. And her performance is remarkable. She’s so poised and together; it really shows just how flexible an actress she really is and how much talent she has. She was nominated for Best Supporting Actress after all at this year’s Academy Awards.

Of course, this movie wouldn’t have been as great as it was without Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush. These two are top of the tier for acting on their bad days and their performances were remarkable in this film. It’s no wonder that Firth won Best Actor at the Oscars and Rush was nominated for Best Supporting Actor. The chemistry on screen between them was funny and touching and I really don’t think that anyone else could have pulled it off as well as the two of them.

So it’s not a movie that I will ever watch again, but I don’t regret seeing it. It’s one of those award winning films that everyone should probably see just to watch for themselves why it won as many awards as it did. Personally, I’m giving this a 6.5/10 but I know many will disagree.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have been meaning to see this, and probably will one day- I know what you mean about movie you jusy have to see once, and can see their merit but will never watch againb. thanks for the review!