Saturday, June 18, 2011

Beware Their Bewitching Words

Siren


Written by: Tricia Rayburn

Released: July 13, 2010 by Egmont

Summary: Vacationing in Winter Harbor, Maine, is a tradition for Vanessa and Justine Sands, and that means spending time with the Carmichael boys. This summer, Vanessa is determined to channel some of her older sister’s boldness, get over her fear of the ocean, and maybe turn her friendship with Simon Carmichael into something much more.

But when Justine goes cliff-diving after a big family argument, and her body washes ashore the next day, Vanessa is sure that it was more than an accident. She is more certain of this, when she discovers that her sister was keeping some big secrets and Caleb Carmichael’s gone missing. Suddenly, the entire oceanfront town is abuzz when a series of grim, water-related accidents occur, with the male victims washed ashore grinning from ear to ear.

Vanessa and Simon team up to figure out if these creepy deaths have anything to do with Justine and Caleb. But will what Vanessa discovers mean the end of her summer romance, or even life as she knows it?


Yet another book to add to my mermaid pile – though sirens aren’t really mermaids, are they? But I’m not splitting hairs over that.

I’m not sure what to write about this novel. It’s weird, I really liked the story and the characters, and I was intrigued with the plot and the siren mythology, but I kept setting down the book almost every time I was really into what was going on and something big was about to happen. At times it was like I had to force myself to read even though I really wanted to.

I liked how the whole siren mythology was depicted with this novel. There weren’t scales and tails but there was the luring voice and the ultimate death of victims. I liked unravelling what was going on – though I knew what was going on – and reading about the mystery of both the deaths and the paranormal aspects.

I can’t wait to read what happens next since there were a few questions left unanswered at the end of this novel. Luckily I was able to obtain an ARC of the second in the trilogy while at BEA, so I’m going to start reading that ASAP. But as far as this book is concerned, I’m giving it a 7.5/10.

No comments: