Friday, June 17, 2011

Fishy Reading

Forgive My Fins

Written by: Tera Lynn Childs

Released: May 19, 2010 by Katherine Tegen Books

Summary: Lily Sanderson has a secret, and it’s not that she has a huge crush on gorgeous swimming god Brody Bennett, who makes her heart beat flipper-fast. Unrequited love is hard enough when you’re a normal teenage girl, but when you’re half human, half mermaid like Lily, there’s no such thing as a simple crush.

Lily’s mermaid identity is a secret that can’t get out, since she’s not just any mermaid – she’s a Thalassinian princess. When Lily found out three years ago that her mother was actually a human, she finally realized why she didn’t feel quite at home in Thalassinia, and she’s been living on land and going to Seaview high school ever since, hoping to find where she truly belongs. Sure, land has its problems – like her obnoxious, biker boy neighbor Quince Fletcher – but it has that one major perk – Brody. The problem is, mermaids aren’t really the casual dating type – when they “bond,” it’s for life.

When Lily’s attempt to win Brody’s love leads to a tsunami-sized case of mistaken identity, she is in for a tidal wave of relationship drama, and she finds out, quick as a tailfin flick, that happily-ever-after never sails quite as smoothly as you planned.


I’m going through a major mermaid phase with the books I’m reading right now. I think it’s because it’s summer and summer means swimming, which means water, which means fish, which can translate to mermaids... I don’t know, but it just makes for good summer reading. This novel is no exception.

I went into reading this expecting it to be a nice fluffy summer read – which is was – but I never expected it to be as fun as it was. I was so immediately drawn into Lily’s romantic troubles and her underwater problems that it was hard to put this book down.

I liked reading about Lily and her fishy expressions, her hate for the neighbour boy, and her obsession with the guy from the swim team. At times I thought that she was a little vapid and shallow and I just wanted to slap the sense into her, but she was also such a cute and endearing character that I was forgiving. But I really loved Quince’s character and I wouldn’t mind living next to someone just like him. Sadly, that’s not to be (at least not right now), so I’ll just have to amuse me with books.

I cannot wait to read the next novel, Fins Are Forever, which thankfully comes out next month so I won’t have to wait very long. I need to know what happens next and how everything turns out. This novel, however, is a total 8/10 in my books and the perfect summer read!

No comments: