Monday, June 13, 2011

Movie Monday - Surfboards, Ghostface, and Polish Elephants

I’m seriously behind in my movie reviews, so I’ve decided to combine then for the next few weeks and have shorter mini-review type reviews.


I went to see these films ages ago with my mum and just couldn’t be bothered to write a review until now. I know that this completely goes against my New Year’s Resolution... but I was too excited about BEA and getting ready for it, so many things were set aside. But here they are now.



Soul Surfer

Written by: Sean McNamara, Deborah Schwartz, Douglas Schwartz, and Michael Berk based upon the novel by Bethany Hamilton, Sheryl Berk, and Rick Bundschuh

Directed by: Sean McNamara

Released: April 8, 2011

Rating: PG

Summary: A teenage surfer girl summons the courage to go back into the ocean after losing an arm in a shark attack.


This was an amazing movie. I remember when I really found out about the girl from Hawaii whose arm had been bitten off by a shark while surfing and even then I couldn’t imagine living through something like that let alone doing what this girl does.

Great cast, great story – I almost can’t believe that it’s true – and was all-over a great movie. The fact that it was based on real-life events and the struggles that Bethany went through... wow. I don’t think that I would have done the same thing if I were to ever lose my arm. 8/10 for sure.



Scream 4

Written by: Kevin Williamson

Directed by: Wes Craven

Released: April 15, 2011

Rating: R

Summary: Sidney Prescott, now the author of a self-help book, returns home to Woodsboro on the last stop of her book tour. There she reconnects with Sheriff Dewey and Gale, who are now married, as well as her cousin Jill and her Aunt Kate. Unfortunately, Sidney's appearance also brings about the return of Ghostface, putting Sidney, Gale, and Dewey, along with Jill, her friends, and the whole town of Woodsboro in danger.


I never would have thought that a fourth movie was possible, so I didn’t know what to expect. I loved the original trilogy and I wasn’t too sure how to feel about this. But let me just say that I never saw who Ghostface was and the ending kind of blew me away.

If you’re into horror movies and you haven’t seen this one yet, be sure to at least rent it when it comes out. 7/10 for me.



Water for Elephants

Written by: Richard LaGravenese based upon the novel by Sara Gruen

Directed by: Francis Lawrence

Released: April 22, 2011

Rating: PG-13

Summary: A veterinary student abandons his studies after his parents are killed and joins a traveling circus as their vet.


It’s the age-old question; will the movie live up to the novel at all? This one was definitely a great adaptation in my books. Pattinson and Witherspoon had this amazing chemistry and even though there were changes from novel to script, they weren’t bad ones.

This is definitely one that I’m going to buy on DVD when it comes out. 9/10.

1 comment:

Ashley @ Book Labyrinth said...

Oh nice, I'm so glad you liked all of these! I definitely want to see all of them, but I haven't yet. Good to hear that they're enjoyable.