Thursday, October 13, 2011

Toe Rings and Fish Tails

Real Mermaids Don’t Wear Toe Rings
Written by: Helene Boudreau
Released: December 1, 2010 by Sourcebooks Jabberwocky
This novel was super cute. I received it as my first EVER RAK gift and I was super excited to finally crack it open and start reading.
Summary: Freak of nature takes on a whole new meaning...
If she hadn't been so clueless, she might have seen it coming. But really, who expects to get into a relaxing bathtub after a stressful day of shopping for tankinis and come out with scales and a tail?
Most. Embarrassing. Moment. Ever.
Jade soon discovers she inherited her mermaid tendencies from her mom. But if Mom was a mermaid, how did she drown?
Jade is determined to find out. So how does a plus-size, aqua-phobic mer-girl go about doing that exactly? And how will Jade ever be able to explain her secret to her best friend, Cori, and to her crush, Luke?
This summer is about to get a lot more interesting...
All summer I’ve been reading mermaid novels and this one didn’t disappoint. I loved just about everything about it from the “chubby” main character to the explanation of the mermaids.
Jade was an adorable character and I felt bad that she had to keep this huge secret from her bff while having a huge bitch hone in on her only friend. I loved her crush on the cute guy in school and how she does everything she can to help her family.
Pretty much the only thing that I didn’t like about Jade was how she was described as “plus-sized” when it just seemed like she had a little bit of a baby fat belly. She wore skirts and shorts and bathing suits and the only complaint that there ever seemed to be was about how she couldn’t get a tankini to stay down over her stomach. Oh, and her penchant for chocolate.
There’s going to be a sequel to this novel and I can’t wait to read it when it comes out. I have a feeling that it will be just as adorable as this one was. Plus, as an added plus for this novel I read it in pretty much one sitting. It was hard to put down the delightfulness that was this mermaid novel.
For being super cute I’m giving this novel a 6.5/10 and a glowing recommendation for younger MG readers.  

PS: What DID happen to her toe ring? You never do find out.

No comments: