Thursday, December 1, 2011

It’s Animal Magnetism

Rules of Attraction
Written by: Simone Elkeles
Released: April 13, 2010 by Walker Books for Young Readers
Summary: When Carlos Fuentes returns to America after living in Mexico for a year, he doesn’t want any part of the life his older brother, Alex, has laid out for him at a high school in Colorado . Carlos likes living his life on the edge and wants to carve his own path—just like Alex did. Then he meets Kiara Westford. She doesn’t talk much and is completely intimidated by Carlos’ wild ways. As they get to know one another, Carlos assumes Kiara thinks she’s too good for him, and refuses to admit that she might be getting to him. But he soon realizes that being himself is exactly what Kiara needs right now.
So I loaned my paperback copy of Perfect Chemistry to my older cousin and she loved it so much that she practically begged to read this one and Chain Reaction. Personally, this novel is my favourite of the three and I’m expecting to get a message from her any day now about how much she loved it as well.
Carlos is definitely my favourite of the three Fuentes brothers. He’s so rough edged and yet so incredibly sweet. I loved reading about the relationship between him and Kiara – especially the bit with the magnetic cookies. Kiara was one spit-fire of a main character and I really loved her characterization. She just seemed so much more realistic than Britney did in the first novel.
Be warned, there are plenty of sexy times in this novel. It’s really enough to make a reader fan herself from all the heat produced. Add in the undeniable sexual chemistry between the alternating viewpoints of the two main charcters and it really makes for one spicy novel. Plus you get the whole ‘bad boy’ thing with the gangs, the classic good girl, and a ‘forbidden’ romance that gets your heart all a twitter. Don’t get me wrong, though, there’s more to this story than any overdone cliché you might expect it to be and though there are several similarities to Perfect Chemistry it is its own novel.
I laughed, I cried, and I completely fell in love with all the characters in this novel. Overall it’s a fantastic contemporary novel. I’m giving this novel a 9/10 and I really can’t wait to read it again and again.

Ps: Kiara’s dad is one BAMF. I definitely wouldn’t want to be on his bad side.

1 comment:

Alexa said...

I enjoyed this one but Alex still holds my heart. I haven't had a chance to read the third book yet but I'm hoping to do that in Jan.

Thanks for the great review of this one, glad Carlos was the boy for you.