Friday, December 2, 2011

Welcomed Alien Invaders

Obsidian
Written by: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Released: December 6, 2011 by Entangled Publishing
Summary: Starting over sucks.
When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I’d pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring…. until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.
And then he opened his mouth.
Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something…unexpected happens.
The hot alien living next door marks me.
You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon’s touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I’m getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.
If I don’t kill him first, that is.
I need to get me a hard copy of this novel ASAP if only for its love towards book bloggers. Of course, there is so much more about this novel to love, too, that luckily that’s not the case.
Ok, first off the main character is a book blogger and there are little inside blogging things that you can’t help but smile as you read about the enthusiasm for reviewing and the love of novels. Hell, this is an fervour that each and every blogger shares and to see it on paper (figuratively since I received an eARC through NetGalley) just strengthens the bond that all bloggers have; their complete and utter fanatic approach to books.
Next you have the drop dead gorgeous next door hottie who just happens to be an alien. This is what drew me towards this novel in the first place. I’m not quiet about my love of Roswell (the television and the books series) and with the entire alien focus it screamed of a new love from the same idea.
Ok, and there is a very strong similarity to Roswell. Aliens sent to Earth for a better life, a warring alien race, a forbidden love between human and alien – but I never felt as though this were a copy. Along the same lines, sure, but with aliens (like most paranormal creatures) exactly how different can they all be? I’m going to admit that more than likely some won’t like this novel because of this fact and more than likely those people will be the hard-core, Roswell-only, Max and Liz supporters.
I loved this novel so I don’t give two flips.
This novel really does have it all – action, adventure, romance, hate, and a kick-ass ending that leaves you wanting more from the sequel while not necessarily leaving you hanging by your thumbs. I’m giving it 9.5/10 and I really am counting down the days until Onyx comes out this Spring.

**Entangled pub, keep me in mind for advanced reader copies ;)

No comments: